Wednesday, December 25, 2013

To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable

I've been saying for years (even when I was still an atheist) that I would be happy to pattern my life after the words in red, the words of Jesus, but that the rest of the bible is simply too horrific to contemplate. Now, after having accepted God into my life, my position has moderated somewhat with further study, but I still maintain that, in order to follow the words and message of Jesus I should listen first and with great priority to His words, the words in red, and that everything else is reference or supporting material only.

I've just finished re-reading and studying the New Testament for the second or third time in the past few months and I can state with conviction that I could use the bible to justify virtually any position I wish to take on virtually any topic I wish to take a position; unless I filter the bible through the words in red. Then things start to become really clear. In a recent online post I said (and was scolded for):

The word of the living God is best captured by the words in red, the words of Jesus of Nazareth. We have good evidence that these words were captured in a reasonably accurate manner and, as the message is very coherent, we can assume that we can accept them as what He intended. I take a position that the words of Jesus are the central message of the word of God in the New Covenant (Hebrews 8, Jeremiah 31) and should therefore be a filter through which we read the rest of the bible, particularly the New Testament.

I realize this is a position that is completely contrary to modern evangelical Christianity, which I feel would be better named 'Paulianity'. I think that most of us on this forum are quite comfortable taking a position outside the scope of the writings of Paul (Paulianity). Most of us are gay. Most of us don't believe that it is a disgrace for women to speak in church or to teach and that they do not need to cover their heads. feel free to read Paul's thoughts on these.

Honestly, I do not like calling myself a 'Christian' and associating myself with two millenia of hatred and persecution of the most vile nature. I feel more comfortable referring to myself as a 'Pre-Constantine' Christian, but that still associates me with the misogyny and homophobia of Paul. 

I am a follower of the message of Jesus of Nazareth, carpenter, teacher, Son of Man, Son of God. Perhaps that makes me a 'Jesus of Nazarethian'?

I follow the words and message of Jesus. Sometimes that contradicts the words of Peter, Paul, James, etc. When in doubt; I follow Jesus.

"What if Jesus really meant all those things He said?"

I just recently found online the Red Letter Christians 'movement'. While I am still reading their dogma, it looks surprisingly as if their 'dogma' is simply to follow the words of Jesus! Imagine the heresy! 

I think I may begin referring to myself as a Red Letter Christian. I have found out that it really upsets others when I refer to them as Paulianists, and their religion that of Paulianity! And it upsets others when they find out I'm a 'gay Christian' (an oxymoron to many, most of whom are simply morons). Somebody is going to be upset at something I say at sometime for some reason. 

What if Jesus had really meant it when He said "blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy"? Would He appreciate others telling me I'm going to burn in hell for being gay?

What if Jesus had really meant it when He said "blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God"? Would He appreciate others refusing me membership in their church for being gay and for publishing hate rhetoric in their dogma and on their website?

What if Jesus had really meant it when He said "anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell"? Would He appreciate those who are derisive to others in the name of Paul, James, or Luke?

I know the answer to those questions as a 'Red Letter Christian'. I have no idea what the answers are in terms of modern 'Christianity' (in my words; the doctrine of Paul).

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." - C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am posting my story solely for the purpose of helping others clarify their own. I will appreciate your supportive, kind, or constructive comments.